Monday, January 16, 2012

Salmon with Mustard Herb Glaze & Maple Balsamic Brussel Sprouts

Day 2 … and it surprisingly went well again! Plus I am completely full from dinner. I went to work at about 730 this morning and worked until 5 pm. Went straight to the gym and was there until about 615 ish. When I got home around 630, I was exhausted and did not want to spend too much time cooking. Well being that it is currently 738, I cooked, we ate, we cleaned up, I looked at school stuff, and I am now blogging, I would say it did not take long at all!
Tonight I made salmon with a mustard herb “crust” which actually turned out more like a glaze, and balsamic and maple brussel sprouts. For the salmon, I sprayed the pan with cooking spray over medium high heat (I left the skin on just to cook but we do not eat the skin).  Each salmon was 5 oz portion, which I then coated with about 2 tsp of Dijon mustard each. On top of the mustard, I put some rosemary and fresh thyme and let them cook in the pan for about 10 minutes with a lid on (the salmon cooks through but it is still moist and delicious). The mustard just forms a delicious glaze on top and adds perfect flavor to the fish.
While the fish is cooking, I take a bag of frozen brussel sprouts (nothing added to them, just frozen), and put them on a pan sprayed with cooking spray. Add a touch of salt and roast them at 450 for about the same amount of time as the salmon. While that is in the oven, add 3 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar in a pan with 2 tablespoons of sugar free maple syrup. Let the sauce thicken a bit and once the brussel sprouts are finished, mix them in with the sauce. Everything turned out great! This is how it looked:


We had a bit of extra sauce so after I made sure the picture was pretty, I added that to the salmon and it was even better! This whole meal totaled 10 points! The salmon was 7 and brussel sprouts obviously 3. These are weight watchers recipes which is hard because I am actually using recipes (so not like me)… but I figure once I get the points system down I will be back to creating my own meals in no time !!
Now I am going to attempt to walk up the stairs after this long and tiring day and spend some time with man who makes us Newlyweds! He is helping me with tomorrows dinner in our Newlywed Kitchen so we can spend a little extra time together… since that is what it is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment