Sunday, January 15, 2012

Coconut Shrimp & Asparagus

I guess I have not posted in a while but that could be because I was FINALLY on my honeymoon!! It was fun and perfect and exactly what I needed after the craziness of life. Well with the new year here and being asked to be in TWO weddings this year, I really need to start cracking down a bit on the eating. I have decided to try weight watchers for the first time and I am doing great ….. on DAY 1! I figured this would be fun to blog about the meals and the points that they are, maybe for some good ideas, or a bit of inspiration, or just because it is still really good food!
For dinner tonight I made coconut shrimp and asparagus. Take 24 shrimp and peel and devein them. In a bowl mix flour, salt, beer, baking powder, and 2 egg whites. Whisk that together to form the batter. Take the shrimp and dip them in plain flour, put shrimp in the batter, and cover with coconut shreds. Put all of the shrimp on a baking pan coated with cooking spray, and bake for 10 minutes at 450 degrees. The shrimp are cooked perfectly and the outside batter is crisp and perfect. Next take asparagus and trim them and put them on a baking sheet. In a small bowl, mix soy sauce, sesame oil, and ginger and coat the asparagus with the soy mixture. Broil the asparagus for 8 minutes and they are finished!
Now here is the catch! … 4 Shrimp and about 8 asparagus spears is 7 points… Keep in mind that the shrimp are big, but that still is not a lot of food for a meal. You can add a salad, or do what I did and add 4 more shrimp for 6 points. (The asparagus is only 1) … So my whole dinner was 13 points, plus I still have points leftover! I never understood this whole point system or anything before but I can honestly see how it works!

(I started with 4 shrimp and then added 4 more after)

Well wish me luck in this new year with this new diet stuff! I feel very motivated and think there is so much to look forward to this year! I wish you all a happy and healthy new year as well… As always, keep checking out Newlywed Kitchen to see some new recipes.

1 comment:

  1. For your recipes, can you substitute wheat flour for white flour? Also, can you shoot me a message with your eyeball measurements for this? I'm not that advanced yet!

    ReplyDelete