Sunday, January 22, 2012

Chicken Fingers with BBQ Sauce & Spinach Blue Cheese Salad

Alex loves chicken … He literally could eat it every day! I on the other hand am generally not a big fan. I like it if it is chicken nuggets or fried chicken, you know all of the things that are bad for you, but clearly that isn’t going to work on this weight watchers business. I need to think of ways to make chicken so I will like it because he loves it so much. Today I made baked chicken fingers with a side of bbq sauce and a nice side salad.
I bought a pound of chicken tenders at the grocery store knowing that a serving of chicken is 3 tenders per person. In a shallow dish, I mixed 2 tbsp of reduced fat buttermilk and 2 tbsp of honey mustard. In another shallow dish I added ½ cup of plain bread crumbs. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees and put a baking sheet in the oven while it is preheating. Put the chicken tenders in the buttermilk mixture and then dredge them in the plain breadcrumbs. Once the oven is preheated, place all the breaded chicken tenders on the preheated pan and bake for 6 minutes. Once the 6 minutes is up, turn the chicken over and bake another 6 minutes. When the chicken is done, serve it with 1 and ½ tbsp of bbq sauce.
As a side dish, take fresh spinach leaves and top them with tomatoes and 1 tbsp of blue cheese. You can add anything else you like but sometimes I just like to keep things simple.
Now for the points … the chicken with the bbq sauce is only 5 points! It is tasty and very filling. The salad is 3 points making the whole meal only 8 points! The salad point breakdown is 2 pts for the blue cheese (I try to use the smallest crumbles that way you get some in every bite) and the dressing 1 point for 1 tbsp of fat free raspberry walnut vinaigrette. You could easily make the salad less points with no cheese but I thought this meal worked well together. Small tip … you do not always have to measure your dressing, especially vinaigrettes. If you use the cap of the dressing bottle it is approximately 1 tbsp so you can go from there. Then just rinse the cap and put it back on the dressing.


Making meals in our Newlywed Kitchen that Alex loves and I end up loving because I adapt it to my taste is an awesome thing.  It’s even better when it is a whole meal for 10 points or less. Now I get to spend a lovely Sunday with my husband!

1 comment: