Monday, January 2, 2012

New Years Eve Cocktail Party

Between both of our work schedules, Alex and I do not usually get to celebrate New Years Eve. This year, we both had off which was great and with how crazy the holidays were and with traveling we decided to spend the night in. With a few good friends over, delicious food, and amazing drinks, we had an awesome night!

I literally worked the whole day before NYE, so I had to come up with things that I could easily make as I knew I would be tired. The menu included salmon canapés, edamame, brie cups, prosciutto wrapped asparagus, ham and cheese, mini gyro bites, and shrimp cocktail.

For the salmon canapés, I took a cucumber and peeled it and cut it into half inch disks. I mixed half a block of low fat cream cheese with horseradish sauce and actual horseradish. You can add the horseradish to the taste that you like. Spread the cream cheese on the cucumber and then take thinly slices of smoked salmon and put that on top of the cream cheese. I then took a pickle and chopped it up in small pieces and sprinkled it on the canapés. The acidity and tang of the pickles with the crunch made the appetizer even better! These were delicious:



We got edamame frozen and steamed them in the microwave. All I did was sprinkle these with sea salt, crushed red pepper, and granulated garlic. I served it with a side of soy sauce and these were a hit!



Next I made brie cups! I actually got this idea off of my sister as she made these for Christmas! They were so delicious! I bought frozen phyllo dough cups, added brie cheese in the middle, and topped them with organic raspberry preserves. These baked for about 10 minutes in the oven and came out beautiful and tasty:



I then made prosciutto wrapped asparagus. Literally all you do is wrap asparagus with prosciutto. I bake them in the oven for about 8 minutes just so the asparagus softens and the prosciutto gets a little crisp on the edges:



Ham and Cheese… well pretty self explanatory. Alex’s aunt and uncle sent us a food package for Christmas and it had a gourmet ham and pepper jack cheese. I just cut these up and served them with spicy mustard. So easy but good!



The mini gyro bites were also very easy. I took a steak and cut it into small pieces, and broiled that for about 5 minutes making them medium rare to medium. I put the meat on top of cut up flat bread, topped that with sour cream and cucumber, tomatoes, and oregano. Ridiculously easy and were hearty and tasted amazing!



Lastly, I made shrimp cocktail. I steamed the shrimp and in the bottom of a bowl put the juice of one lemon, red wine vinegar, parsley, garlic, and parmesan cheese. Once the shrimp were cooked, I added the shrimp to the bowl and tossed it around with all the flavors. I took the lemon that I had already juiced and made cocktail sauce and served it in that! It is one small thing to do but makes the presentation so much prettier!



The New Years Eve get together was so much fun and everyone loved the food. I can’t think of a better way to bring in the New Year than putting out delicious appetizers in my Newlywed Kitchen, having friends over to celebrate with, and getting a New Years kiss from my husband! Here’s to a great 2012!

Tip: since we knew we would be up late, my girlfriend had the great idea to make a breakfast bake in the crock pot so it would cook over night and be ready for when we all woke up. All we did was layer hashbrown potatoes, sausage patties, whisked eggs, and cheddar cheese. Keep layering this and put the crock pot on low. When you wake up there will be a delicious egg bake and no work is needed when everyone is tired in the morning!

Leftovers: the appetizers were so good but I did have some asparagus and shrimp leftover. This morning I decided to make a shrimp and asparagus egg white omelet and it was soooo good!

No comments:

Post a Comment