Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Yinzer Stew

The other day for the Steelers game, I made a “Yinzer Stew”.  It was healthy, delicious, and super easy to make.  The best part was that it was made in a crock-pot and was doing all the work for me, while I lay on the couch and watched football.

The stew consisted of:
                1 lb bag of white beans  (dry)
                1 onion, diced
                1 tbs garlic, minced
                1 tbs dried rosemary
                1 tbs Italian seasoning
                1 can petite diced tomato, 14.5 oz
                6 cups of chicken broth
                1 package of kielbasa (I used turkey
                        cut up into small half moon sizes)
                1 cup of sauerkraut, without extra liquid
                4 cups fresh spinach
                Parmesan cheese, reduced fat
                Salt and Garlic Powder 

These certainly are not exact measurements as I did not measure anything, but more of a guess for recipe purposes.  Put the beans, onion, spices, can of tomatoes with liquid, and 6 cups of chicken broth in the slow cooker on low for 5 hours.  Add the cut up kielbasa and the sauerkraut to the crock pot and continue to cook for another 2 hours on low.  Then, add the fresh spinach so it wilts in the warm stew, allowing it to sit for about a half hour more.  Add some salt and garlic powder to your liking.  Serve the stew with some parmesan on top and it is ready to eat!





This was the perfect meal for a cool day while watching football!  I assume it will be made more in our house!  I especially liked it as the kielbasa and sauerkraut takes me back to Pittsburgh and family meals! My husband loved it and we both had more than one bowl … hey, at least it’s healthy.  I think that Mike Tomlin would like it too … maybe I’ll invite him over for dinner…



As always, GO STEELERS.  I will be making a turkey pumpkin chili for next week’s game for my handsome newlywed and I … can’t wait already!






No comments:

Post a Comment