Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Turkey Pumpkin Chili

One of the best parts about fall is that I know that every Sunday my husband and I can relax on the couch and watch football.  It is really the one day a week that we have just to ourselves and what better way to spend that watching the games and eating good food?  Another good thing about fall is comfort food … and comfort food CAN be healthy.
This week on Sunday, I made a Turkey Pumpkin Chili that was amazing, even though the game was horrible.  Luckily this blog is not about my rants about the NFL but this season is just a big old mess.  Back to the chili … don’t football, chili, and fall just go so perfectly together? Another part of fall that is a huge hit is pumpkin - and a savory pumpkin dish is always a great addition!
So here it is … super easy and yet again, in a crock pot!
Cook the ground turkey until brown in a sauté pan.  Put the drained meat inside the crockpot and get rid of the left over grease in the pan (although ground turkey is healthy – there is still quite a bit of fat). In the sauté pan, spray the pan with olive oil and sauté 1 onion diced (I used 2 onions because I really enjoy sautéed onions as does my husband).  Let the onions sauté for a few moments and add 2 tbs of minced garlic (or more to taste).  Let this sauté for another 30 seconds or so and add a tbs of ground cumin to scent the onion and garlic.  Add the mixture into the crockpot with the ground turkey.  Add one can of white kidney beans (drained and rinsed), 1 can of Libby’s pumpkin puree (make SURE this is not pumpkin pie filling and instead just pumpkin puree), 1 small can of diced green chilies (I used mild – but you can use a spicier version), 2 cups of chicken broth, 1 tbs of chili powder, 1 tbs of Italian seasoning, and 2 bay leaves.  Stir all the ingredients together and allow to sit in the crockpot for at least 4 hours on low.  FYI – my low setting on my crockpot seems to cook things faster than recommended cook times, so you may want to cook yours longer until all the flavors develop.  Add salt and pepper to the chili for taste. 
Before the chili is finished, combine low fat sour cream with a big bunch of cilantro (I actually buy cilantro in a tube – it is amazingly fresh). This just gives the sour cream an extra zing and freshness.  Top the chili with low fat cheddar cheese, cilantro infused sour cream, and garnish with chives. 

This chili was easily the best part of the Sunday, besides spending time with my other half.  You should make this for the upcoming Sunday football games, you will love it!  As always, enjoy your week … I have some really great meals ahead of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment