Monday, December 5, 2011

Taco Lettuce Wraps

We do a lot of whole sale shopping at Costco, so naturally when we get ground meat; we get it in 5 lb packs. We individually wrap and freeze them into 1 lb each, giving us enough for 5 meals. We only buy ground turkey because it is much more lean and healthy! I decided to make ground turkey taco lettuce wraps for dinner last night and they were delicious. This is basically a standard taco night, but instead of the tortillas, we use romaine lettuce leaves which is much healthier and tastes fresh. I take the ground turkey, brown it in the skillet with a sliced onion. Once the meat is brown, I add taco seasoning and some water to form a thick sauce around the meat. When the meat is finished, it looks like this:


While it is cooking, I pull some romaine lettuce leaves, chop some tomato, get some reduced fat shredded cheese, fat free sour cream, and taco sauce. I put everything on a plate so everyone can make their own wraps:


As a side dish (although I like it in my lettuce taco wraps), I made yellow sweet corn. I added yogurt butter blend, fresh cilantro, and garlic powder to the corn just to give it extra flavor:


Once everything is together, it can be put out for everyone to begin making their food. I also think this dish is fun for kids because they get to “play” with their food. Also, it is so versatile because anything can be switched out to give it a different twist.


Once assembled, the tacos look great and are delicious!

My husband happens to be a taco lover and a salad freak!  Instead of making traditional tacos or taco salads, I like to do things a bit differently and more fun. He loves these lettuce wraps (even though he stuffs them way too full) and he doesn’t feel guilty eating a few (neither do I). Putting a new spin on everyday food makes cooking (and eating) more fun in our Newlywed Kitchen, so try to put a twist on dinner tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment