Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Dumpling Soup - Thai Style

So clearly from looking at the food I have made this week, I have been all about making food with different ingredients than I usually do. I was supposed to work tonight after working all day, but in the nursing world that can quickly change. This means that I did not have to go to work tonight and I had more time to relax and make a nice meal. I decided to make a warm soup since it is such a cold day, so I incorporated the ingredients that I have used throughout the week. Obviously these meals are not something that you have to try all in one week like I did, but as I like to get the most out of the money I spend shopping, I try to incorporate as many ingredients as possible so nothing goes to waste. So this warm soup I made is a Dumpling Soup – Thai Style.
As usual, it was a one pot meal making clean up very easy! I used fresh and some prepared ingredients which made it very fast to cook! I got a big pot and sprayed it with olive oil cooking spray, chopped up some celery (probably 4 stalks) and some mushrooms. I used shitake mushrooms because I wanted to try them out (much more expensive) but I do not think they added an extreme element to the dish so I think any mushrooms will be fine. I also put in some yellow curry powder with the vegetables and let them sauté for a couple minutes:


After that, I added chicken stock (I use the stock that comes in a box, and it was about one and a half boxes), added a can of light coconut milk, and a little bit of fish sauce (I have said this in a previous post … but I do not think fish sauce is necessary, it is very salty so if you wanted a substitute soy sauce would probably be good):



 I let these ingredients warm together and add some chopped pepper. I used red pepper mostly for the color, but any pepper would be good. Any vegetables that you wanted to incorporate would taste good in this dish:


After the peppers softened for a bit, I added “Asian dumplings”. I got this from the frozen international food section which are vegetable dumplings, just like you get at restaurants. They also have pork, chicken, or other meats, but every week I try to make a vegetarian dish. I put them in the soup frozen and let them warm through with the soup:


The dumplings come with a “dipping sauce” that I defrosted and added to the soup. It is basically like a soy/ponzu sauce but it tasted really good. I added a little bit at a time because I didn’t know how much or little I wanted, so just do this to taste. I served the soup with some scallions on top and it was delicious:


Normally most of these items in our house are not staples, however, many of them will now be some of our household items. You do not need to go out to dinner to get authentic tasting food from different ethnicities, instead stay in and try and replicate a meal in your kitchen, like we do in our Newlywed Kitchen.
Side note: My momma is a vegetarian so I try to be conscious of different things I can make. Being that my mom is a vegetarian, growing up I was able to eat different foods and try different things. I am happy that I had that opportunity because I am not picky at all when it comes to trying food. I think that is because I was exposed to all types of food early on! Me and my Momma:


No comments:

Post a Comment