Thursday, December 1, 2011

Peanut Butter & Jelly .... Cookies!

My husband and I are a huge fan of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches! It seems that when I am really in the mood for one, we are always out of something and it is usually the peanut butter! Well last night I was craving a good old pb&j and made sure we had everything … peanut butter … check … jelly (strawberry and grape) … check … bread … damn, I used it all in the stuffing I made. Well, new plan! I decided to make peanut butter and jelly cookies, in the healthiest way as possible.
Peanut butter cookies are one of the easiest things to make. All you need is flour, sugar, peanut butter, baking soda, salt, butter, and some milk. Well of course I modify this because I modify everything! I use flour, splenda, reduced fat organic peanut butter (I’m not a person all into organic things, but they have the healthiest peanut butter), yogurt blend butter, and fat free milk. They turn out just the same and are delicious! These are another fun cookie to make with kids because you can’t yell at them for eating the dough since there is no egg! Pre heat oven to 375 and start balling up your cookies. I use a tablespoon measuring spoon to scoop it so I have fairly even cookies. Roll them in a ball, press your thumb into the center of each cookie, and fill it with any type of fruit jelly or preserve. I use the no sugar added strawberry preserve which taste more like strawberries and less like a spoonful of sugar. Bake for about 12 minutes, and you have easy, delish pb&j cookies! I have to admit, I love the sandwich more than anything, but these cookies are a pretty good substitute! Having staples in the kitchen is important for any cook, but being able to improvise is even more important! Next time you are in the mood for something, even if you have all the ingredients, try and change it and deconstruct it into something else! We deconstruct food in the Newlywed Kitchen all the time, making cooking more fun and eating more delicious!

Just remember, things do not have to look perfect! I am not the best baker but I try anyways … I like to cook food more than bake … but even though they are not all perfectly formed, they are going to taste just as good as cookies that are.
Side note: Apologies to my mom and dad in regards to peanut butter and jelly sandwiches … My sister was a smooth peanut butter and grape jelly person & I was a crunchy peanut butter and strawberry jelly type. This meant that they had to buy two peanut butters and two jellies while shopping (which really wasn’t a big deal to them) .. but to make the sandwich proved to be a bit of a hassle sometime. Mom usually got it right but every once in a while I would get a crunchy peanut butter with grape jelly (gross). To make matters worse, I wanted the crust cut off the bread and it needed to be cut diagonally. I am not sure how my sister liked it, but I am sure it was opposite just to make things harder on mom and dad! One thing that was always a constant in our sandwiches however, was moms love bite! We would not eat our pb&j’s unless there was one bite missing … and she still does that today <3

2 comments:

  1. These look AMAZING! So I decided to give them a shot. Since I don't have as healthy ingredients in my house, my recipe was a bit different. I think I used too much jelly and not enough peanut butter, but they were still great! Thanks for the recipe! :)

    (Here is the link to the picture... I hope it works!)
    https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=9ed2005187&view=att&th=13414b00e0dc21f2&attid=0.1&disp=inline&zw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I am glad that you tried them! You are going to have a Newlywed Kitchen soon enough ;)

    ReplyDelete