Friday, February 8, 2013

Bang Bang Shrimp Salad

If you have never had the Bang Bang Shrimp at the Bonefish Grill, you are really missing out on one of the best things in the world.  They serve this lightly coated crunchy shrimp in a sweet and spicy creamy chili sauce with scallions on a bed of lettuce as an appetizer.  It is really one of the best things you will ever eat.  Luckily for me, there is a Bonefish Grill about 3 minutes away from me now, but the closest one used to be about 50 minutes.  Fortunately, the Bang Bang sauce recipe was online for me to duplicate which I have made many times, but this time decided to share. I have brought friends to this restaurant from Pittsburgh and each and every person has loved it.

I definitely make this meal different than the restaurant but it is still delicious.  I do not fry the shrimp or have a crunch coating on it, but instead just sauté the shrimp in a skillet for a healthier version, seasoned with salt and garlic powder.  While the shrimp are cooking, mix 4 tbs of mayonnaise (I use the olive oil version – making it a tad bit healthier), 1 tbs of sriracha, and 2 tbs of Thai sweet chili sauce.  This isn’t the exact recipe they give, but after many attempts, this tastes the best to me.  Toss the shrimp in half of the sauce and save the other half. 

Instead of serving the shrimp with a bit of lettuce on the bottom as a garnish, I serve it on a bed of lettuce for a salad.  Mixed greens with carrots works perfectly with a ton of chopped chives.  They normally use scallions, but I had chives on hand today and used them instead.  It still gave that fresh onion taste that goes perfect with this dish.  Serve the leftover sauce as a dressing for the Bang Bang shrimp salad.  After Alex ate the salad tonight he said “I could eat 7 more” … haha in other words, he loved it.  I kind of want more too.  Here is to not going out on a Friday not, bringing the restaurant into your own kitchen, and having a nice evening in with your newlywed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment