Sunday, November 11, 2012

Shrimp & Sausage Stew

I made a dinner this week that was extremely flavorful and incredibly easy to make!  I came home after a day of working 12+ hours and cooked a quick stovetop stew for dinner that evening.  I was happy that it was so quick to make because I was exhausted from work and wanted to have as much time as possible to spend with Alex this particular evening, and not in the kitchen.  I am also happy that it was so good, because this is now my husband’s FAVORITE meal I have made. 

I made a shrimp and sausage stew that was packed full of fresh ingredients and flavor.  In a large pot, heat some olive oil over medium-high heat.  Once the oil is hot, add 1 chopped green bell pepper (you can use any color, green just happened to be on sale) and sauté for approximately 4 minutes. Then add one package of smoked turkey sausage and sauté for a few more minutes.  Add minced garlic to the peppers and sausage (I probably used greater than a heaping tablespoon because we love garlic) and let cook with the peppers for about 1 minute.  Add chicken broth to the pot (I used one large container of low sodium chicken stock) and 1 can of Rotel tomatoes with green chilies (do not drain, add the entire contents into the pot).  Allow the liquid to warm up to a gentle boil, and add 1 can of kidney beans and fresh peeled shrimp (I probably threw in about 20 pieces for the whole pot).  Allow the shrimp to cook through and become pink, approximately 6-8 minutes.  Serve the soup and sprinkle with fresh parsley for an extra burst of fresh flavor!  The stew is SO good, has a bit of a spicy flavor from the chilies and tomatoes, a smoky flavor from the sausage, and a salty freshness from the shrimp. 

I had to work 3-11 that following evening, and there was 1 bowl of the stew left in the refrigerator (After I had 1 bowl and my husband had about 3).  Apparently, he was very excited to eat it when he got home from work and stopped to get oyster crackers on the way home.  He came home, warmed up the soup, and was about to eat it when he texted me:


I was busy at work but answered … and apparently my answer made him put the soup back and eat something else!  I was so happy when I got home and had the bowl … haha!  I of course wouldn’t have been upset if he ate it, but I was really looking forward to it also!  I guess this just means that I have to make a double batch and more often! Maybe I will even go out and make my handsome husband this stew tonight since he was so sweet this week …

No comments:

Post a Comment