Thursday, April 25, 2013

Ham, Asparagus & Gouda Quiche


For Easter this year, Alex and I decided to stay home for the weekend and have a couple of days to ourselves.  It seems like almost every weekend we are traveling to see family, friends, or going on trips.  It was great just to wake up, enjoy brunch together, and spend the day relaxing.  On the Friday before, I spent the morning preparing a crust-less quiche for us to enjoy on Sunday.  In fact, I made 2 so I could bring one for the girls at work on Saturday.  I had posted a picture of the quiche on facebook and received many “likes” and “comments”.  To me, this makes it even more enjoyable to know that people like what I do. 

Here is the recipe I used to make this delicious quiche.  Take one bunch of asparagus and trim the ends off.  Chop half of the bunch into inch size pieces and save a few pieces of whole asparagus for the top.  Spray a pan with olive oil and heat over medium.  Add the asparagus and sauté for 5 minutes.  Next, take 1 ham steak and cut it into small cubes.  Add the ham into the pan with the asparagus and sauté for another 2 or 3 minutes.  Grease a baking dish and add the asparagus and ham.  Top the ham and asparagus with 1 cup of shredded cheese.  I used Gouda which was on sale and made this delicious.  Next, mix 6 eggs in a bowl with 1 cup of milk.  Season the egg and milk mixture with salt and pepper.  I also add some garlic powder, which is my favorite seasoning.  Pour the egg mixture over the asparagus, ham, and cheese.  Top the egg dish with the whole pieces of asparagus for a pretty, rustic look.  Bake the quiche in a 400 degree oven for 30-40 minutes.  It took closer to 40 minutes for the quiche to be completed, but I was also baking 2.  It is important that you let the quiche rest for about 20 minutes after cooking.  This is a very versatile dish that can be switched out with many ingredients; I just thought the ham and asparagus were perfect spring ingredients. 
 

I hope you like this as much as Alex and I did, and as much as my lovely ladies at work.  As always, let me know how you like it.  I am curious if anyone has made this already! Oh – along with the quiche I made us a smoked salmon platter.  Nothing really homemade here – but I thought I presented it beautifully!
 
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment